Spring Panzanella

Hi Friends!  It's so good to be back!  I can't wait to catch up on all your blogs and see what you've been up to!  Thanks again to {av} and Lauren for filling in for me while I was gone.  I'll post some Scottsdale pictures and shopping soon!

Until then...I've been dying to share our first recipe from Gwyneth's new cookbook, My Father's Daughter.  I last posted on her cookbook here and have since gotten the book delivered.  I'm very excited about a lot of her recipes, but the panzanella looked divine!  It incorporates a lot of my favorite ingredients...roasted peppers and basil!  The final product and was light and perfect for spring!


Recipe:
  • 6 ounces stale country bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups of cubes)
  • 1 yellow Roasted Red Pepper (recipe to follow), roughly diced
  • 1 red Roasted Red Pepper  (recipe to follow), roughly diced
  • 1 1/2  cups cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
  • Coarse salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 olive oil-packed Spanish anchovies, finely chopped (we did not do this)
  • Large handful fresh basil leaves
To roast the peppers...according to Gwyneth, you must roast whole bell peppers over an open gas flame on high heat, rotating with tongs, until completely blackened all over.  Be patient--you want the flesh to soften and the skin to be totally, totally charred: it should take 15-20 minutes.  After the peppers are cooked, put them in a large metal or glass bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and let them sit until they're cooled enough to handle (the covered bowl creates steam which makes it super easy to peel the peppers).  Incidentally, a plastic bag works too.

When they're cook, slip off and discard the charred skins, running them under water as needed to remove all the skin.

For the panzanella...combine the bread, peppers, and tomatoes together in a large bowl.  Whisk the vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper (and anchovies) together in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad.  Tear in the basil, toss everything together with your hands, and let sit for at least 15 minute before serving.  Distribute the panzanella on plates, drizzling each serving with a little extra virgin olive oil.


Look!  It even looks like the picture!  :)  This recipe serves 4 and is a great side or perfect light dinner.  The flavors were amazing...even the hubby was satisfied!

Have you been serving any light spring meals lately?  

Hope you enjoy!  Bon Appetit!

xo natasha

PS...be sure to check out the Tasty Tuesday party today...I'm linked up and she's featuring Key Lime Pie!  Which is one of my all-time favorites!!!

17 comments :

  1. Yum! That looks so good. Hope you had fun AZ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love anything with roasted peppers! This looks gooo...d!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUMMMMMMM!!! That looks amazing!

    So glad you're back!! Can't wait to hear about your trip! xoxo! Lauren @ tickled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh! Its like crouton salad! I'm in! Def need to try this =)

    Welcome back!!!! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! Can't wait to hear about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got the GP cookbook too and there are so many recipes I am dying to try out. This looks so freah and tasty! Can't wait to hear about your fun trip! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a perfect spring entree. Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Panzanella Salad. You should try it with shrimp--they have a recipe in Costal Living this month that looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yum! So fresh and filling..

    I've been doing a lot of sauteed vegetables like snow peas, green beans with yellow and red bell peppers for color..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum Natasha! I must try this - the roasted peppers with bread sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that you're back and that you had a good trip! This recipe looks delicious! I must give this a try. I'll have to get the cookbook as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just ordered the book on Amazon yesterday. I cannot wait to get it and I love anything roasted peppers so this recipe here looks so yummy. I actually tried roasting a pepper the other day in the oven on broil and it worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it looks light, delicious and healthy! can't wait to put my hands on this book. glad to see u back ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum - I love light meals like this when the weather warms up. I missed your post about Gwyneth's cookbook - I need to check it out!

    Glad you liked the key lime pie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks perfect for my daughter's softball season and dinner on the run.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh this looks wonderful! you're making me so hungry!

    ReplyDelete