Sunday Brunch French Toast

The weekends are a good time to make something special for breakfast...or brunch in our case.  I've never been a fan of "traditional" French Toast--it always seemed too rich and dense.  Most recipes call for regular bread, which gets saturated with syrup and powdered sugar.  I love this recipe because we use an actual French bread loaf and cut thick slices...it makes the end product light and fluffy.



  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 12 thick slices French Bread
  • Mixed berries or sliced banana to top
Measure flour into a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in the milk. Whisk in the salt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla extract and sugar until smooth. 

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat.  We use an electric griddle...it's a miracle worker in the kitchen!

Soak bread slices in mixture until saturated. Cook bread on each side until golden brown. Serve hot and top with your favorite berries.

Now this is another reason to enjoy the weekends!  Bon Appetit!

10 comments :

  1. i completely agree about the bread situation! why do people insist on using flimsy little slices that get soggy?! i don't get it!

    this recipe, however, looks so yummy! i will have to try it soon!

    came from the tasty tuesday blog hop and am your newest follower! stop by my blog if you get the chance!

    http://www.delightfullydowling.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!!!!! Where was my invite??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Neighbor! You can come by anytime for brunch! :) Can't wait for the wine walk this weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! It's been way too long since I've had French toast - yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alissa! And as always...thanks for hosting Tasty Tuesdays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I love french toast so much and wish right now that I had the bread to make it! Alas, there was a run on bread, milk and eggs at the store! haha Ah, snowstorms and the grocery store. Gotta love it.

    Visiting from Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MrsJenB--I think the bread is key so definitely worth the wait! Hope the weather gets better soon! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This french toast looks superb. I have a linky party on my blog every week called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa--thanks for the invite! I will definitely link up! :) Also have some cupcakes I'm posting soon...so I will look forward to your "Sweets for a Saturday" party each week! :)

    ReplyDelete